Cleghorn School Park and Town of Pleasant Valley Park Committee
Our residents and guests are fortunate to have access to the Cleghorn School Park, a 9.1 acre facility with the following features:
- Playground with institutional duty equipment and several acres of green space
- Pavilion with 30 ‘ X 50’ covered area, stainless steel kitchen, public address system, and restrooms
- Cooking shelter
- Professional grade softball field with lighting and electronic scoreboard
- Asphalt parking
- Excellent safety lighting
- Nature trail
A great amount of credit is due the people who had the vision that turned the former Cleghorn School into the park we can all enjoy today.
Looking to the future, we are pleased to announce the 2014 Town of Pleasant Valley Park Committee, an advisory committee to the Town of Pleasant Valley Board of Supervisors.
History of the Cleghorn School Park
The Cleghorn School Park started after the Township of Pleasant Valley was offered to purchase the Cleghorn Elementary School back from the Eau Claire School District after it closed. The site consisted of a school house, 9.3 acres, playground equipment, walking nature trail, private well and septic system.
The Township bought the parcel in 2003 for $1 with the condition that they would agree to cover the costs of demolition. They had to have the school inspected for asbestos, salvage what was worthwhile, tear down the school house and have the rubble removed, and removed the old blacktop paving. The well and septic were found to be working order.
The community of Cleghorn and the Township residents met the financial challenge to accomplish all of this and more. The closing of this school was very emotional for the community and residents turned out in full force to raise the money needed to turn a sad situation into a good one. The first year they did a fund raiser that involved the whole community. Since the first big fund raiser, they now host a Fall Harvest Festival every year to celebrate the work that has been done as well as to continue to raise funds to expand the Park. The Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources provided the Cleghorn School Park with a grant in the amount of $66,736 to ensure that the park would remain as a green space for the community. The park also received a $15,000 grant as a result of efforts made by State Representative Jeff Smith. Community members have donated hundreds of hours and thousands of dollars to build a park that families can enjoy.
What has been accomplished so far: A new pavilion with public restrooms, state-approved serving kitchen, and two storage areas was built. Additionally, a small shelter was built that may be used for grilling and/or for picnics. The parking area and driveways were paved with blacktop.
The second phase of the project was the building of the ball field. Designed to accommodate softball or Little League baseball games, the site began with addition of some fill, grading, installation of the irrigation system and seeding of grass. This was done in the fall of 2008. Funds for this project began with memorials and in-kind work done in memory of Ronald Anderson.
To date we have received $66,736 through a Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources grant, cash donations totaling $53,573 and $74,515 worth of in-kind labor, supplies and materials. We have documented total expenditures to date of $194,824. We know that there were more contributions made, but we do not have the documentation of value. For example, someone provided the kitchen with new stainless steel serving dishes, and a group of neighborhood ladies had their own fundraiser to purchase multiple large roasters and large coffee pots.
What support has the Cleghorn School Park received already?
- $66,736 grant was received from the State of Wisconsin, DNR
- $15,000 grant was received from the State of Wisconsin
- Thousands of dollars from Cleghorn School Park advocates
- Thousands of hours of labor from Cleghorn School Park advocates
- Funding and labor from multiple business
- Labor from members of the Chippewa Valley Home Builders Association
Cleghorn School Park "Wish List" for Future Projects
- Improve the nature trails
- Build a warming hut for winter skaters
- Build a roof over the stage area
- Lights for the softball field - COMPLETE
- Fencing for the foul line of the softball field - COMPLETE
- Softball field scoreboard - COMPLETE
- Permanent sign for the Harvest Fest to be located on Hwy 93
- Build a stage for future music performances
- Lighting for the stage
- Dugout covers for the softball field
- Basketball hoops
- Further landscaping is needed
Make a Tax Deductible Donation
To make a tax deductible donation to Cleghorn School Park, make your check payable to "Cleghorn School Park”, send it to:
W165 Woodridge Dr
Eau Claire, WI 54701
Spread the Word and Participate!
- Tell your neighbors, family, and friends about the park
- Rent the pavilion for your events
- Participate in the Harvest Fest activities
- Honor someone by making a memorial contribution
Cleghorn Park Committee Mission
The Town of Pleasant Valley Park Committee communicates directly with the Town of Pleasant Valley Board with decisions related to the Cleghorn Park. The mission of the Cleghorn Park Committee is to improve and further develop the park amenities, attractions, and gain funding for future expansions and growth.
Cleghorn School Park Memorials
Sharon A. Petschow Memorial Garden
In Honor of Sharon A. Petschow
This memorial garden is dedicated to Sharon A. Petschow. May her kindness, her smile, her caring spirit, and her service to God and her fellow man be long remembered. Sharon was a resident of this community for 30 years. She walked these park grounds and loved all of the children on this former playground. A registered Nurse, Sharon and her colleagues travelled the surrounding counties of western Wisconsin, caring for the sick and troubled. Her dedication was to God and her family. May all who tours these gardens enjoy the beauty and find the inspiration to serve God, man and the creation.